We've been lucky enough to have some fantastic author events at the bookstore. Check out the calendar to the right for Upcoming Events. Or, here are some links to pages for our past events, where you can see pictures of the authors and attendees!
Author Events- What's the Story?
As a bookstore we love books...and the people who write them. We love having authors from all walks of life and of all types of books come into the store to read from their work and talk with us. Often when talking about these events with people in the community I get the response, "But I haven't read the book" or "I have never heard of that person". My response is always the same: That's okay! Come anyway.
Here are 5 reasons why you should come to an author event:
1. It's FREE- almost all of our author events cost nothing to those who come. You get to come into the shop and enjoy an evening away for no cost. And while we appreciated it when the books are bought, no one is standing with a clipboard to make you purchase one.
2. Support the community and the bookshop. Local, independent bookstores are having a hard time surviving this economy and competing with bigger chains, such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Supporting the local bookshop provides local jobs, gives back into our local economy, and helps our community thrive.
3. Create a buzz. We all want the "big name" authors to come to our store- but in order to do this; we have to have good turnouts at the smaller events as well. This gets our name out there and creates press for our store and community. The more people hear of our store, the more they will want to come.
4. Meet new people. Branch out and make a new friend. You may meet the neighbor you didn't know you had, or the parents of your child's schoolmate. In a community like ours networking is a great thing.
5. Learn something new. Hear parts of a book you haven't read (or one you loved), and talk to the author. Ask questions. You don't have to know the book or the characters to talk to someone. Authors welcome questions of all types, and love introducing their books and characters to people for the first time. I have found many good books by going to events of authors I had never heard of.
We hope to see you at our next event. Drop by and try it out. I think you'll find it very enjoyable :)
(Jane Kirkpatrick, May 2011)
Jane Kirkpatrick, (Daughter's Walk), 2011-05-08
Laurie Notaro 2011-4-9
Candace Dempsey (Murder in Italy), 2011-02-03
April Henry (Girl Stolen), 2011-01-20
Alex Beard (Monkey See Monkey Draw), 2011-01-15
Emily Whitman (Wildwing), 2010-10-21
Bonny Becker (Bedtime for Bear), 2010-10-08
David Shannon (It's Christmas, David!), 2010-10-07
Lisa Schroeder (Little Chimp's Big Day), 2010-09-18
Ken Scholes (Antiphon), 2010-09-16
Willy Vlautin (Lean On Pete), 2010-06-08
Heidi Durrow (The Girl Who Fell From the Sky), 2010-05-20
Alexandra Day (Good Dog Carl), 2009-12-19
Ken Scholes (Canticle), 2009-10-22
George Byron Wright (Driving to Vernonia), 2009-10-15